I am a leader in community-engaged service learning. I have won awards for “breaking out of the classroom,” promoting diversity (particularly opportunities for Latinx students), and innovating to promote student-community partnerships.
I direct the Mexican Migration Field Research Program (MMFRP), a comprehensive year-long practicum in which undergraduate and graduate students do on-the-ground research in migrant communities on both sides of the US-Mexico border. Underrepresented students make up over 90% of participants in the program, which gives them unique opportunities not only to conduct empirical research on pressing problems in migrant communities but also to synthesize and present their results to high-level lawmakers in Mexico and California.
I teach courses on migration, gender, qualitative fieldwork, research methods, development, Latin America, political sociology, globalization, poverty, and postcolonial and feminist theory to undergraduate and graduate students. Before becoming an academic, I also directed service-learning programs in partnership with NGOs in rural Latin America. All of my teaching pushes students to interrogate their assumptions, bring the world into the classroom, and bring their insights back out to the world.
- UCSD Outstanding Mentor Award, Academic Enrichment Programs
- UCSD Changemaker Faculty Fellow, for campus leaders in community-engaged service learning
- UCSD Breaking out of the Classroom Grant
- UCSD Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Course Development Grant
- American Sociological Association Section on Teaching and Learning Teaching Innovations and Professional Development Award
- UC Berkeley Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award
- Field Research in Migrant Communities, Graduate and Undergraduate
- Feminist Theory, Graduate Seminar
- Urban Sociology, Graduate and Undergraduate
- Research Reporting, Undergraduate Seminar
- The Practice of Social Research
- In-Depth Interviewing, Graduate Seminar
- Gender, Power, and Globalization
- Development in Theory and History
- Contemporary Immigration in Global Perspective
- Sociology of Poverty
- Classical & Contemporary Social Theory